- Prior to the 2.0 update, the maximum Tree Height was 20.000m.
- As of version 2.0, the maximum Tree Height was increased to 50.000m. The Staircase and Light Orb system was introduced.
- As of version 3.0, the Light Orb system was improved.
The formula below is used to calculate the corresponding increase in Tree Height for each song completed:
Rating (out of 100.00) x 0.001m + Growth Bonus
The Growth Bonus is an attribute of the song and the difficulty. Its value consists of:
- Clearing the song and difficulty for the first time (+ 0.200m)
- Acquiring Full Combo for the first time (+ 0.150m)
- Acquiring All Charming for the first time (+ 0.200m)
Obtaining the All Charming bonus for a song's difficulty also yields the Full Combo bonus if Full Combo has not yet been acquired.
The maximum tree growth attainable from clearing a single song is 0.650m. It can be obtained by acquiring an All Charming on the first time clearing the song and its difficulty. Without any bonus, this maximum tree growth is only 0.100m.
100.00 (100% Rating) x 0.001m + [0.200m (First Clear) + 0.150m (Full Combo) + 0.200m (All Charming)] = 0.650m
After reaching 20.000m Tree Height, the Blossom Memory is unlocked and the tree can no longer grow until certain conditions are fulfilled:
- Clear another song to unlock the Leaves Memory.
- Select the painting in the Attic to unlock the Where It Goes Memory and gain access to the Basement.
- Select the piano in the Basement (instead of selecting Play) and select Start.
- Clear the song that follows (see Basement for song and difficulty).
After clearing the song, the The New Tree Memory is unlocked and the Tree Height immediately shoots to 30.000m. The tree can then continue growing.
After reaching 50.000m Tree Height and selecting the door in the Upstairs room, the You Cannot Go Memory plays and subsequently unlocks the Top Floor. From this point on, the tree no longer grows but a staircase progresses upwards in its stead towards a floating platform (which transports the Little Girl to the exit).
The Staircase was introduced in the 2.0 update to allow progress after attaining the maximum Tree Height. When first accessing the Top Floor, the Staircase does not exist yet but for every song Deemo plays, it is built up and progresses towards completion by a certain percentage.
The Staircase Height ranges from 0% to 100%. The formula to calculate the increase in Staircase Height is:
Rating (out of 100.00%) x 0.04
The maximum staircase progression attainable from clearing a single song is 4.000%.
100.00% (100% Rating) x 0.04 = 4.000%
- The Tree Height displayed is rounded off to the nearest 0.001m and the Staircase Height to the nearest 0.001%, but the variable used to store this variable is of a higher precision.
- Since the Growth Bonus does not apply to Staircase Height, it is recommended to clear songs which have been cleared before, so that potential Growth Bonuses may be carried over to Forgotten Hourglass playthroughs.